How I Dry My Flowers to Use in Resin Crafts
I really enjoy gathering items from nature to use in my crafts. Since it is summer, I have been picking flowers and drying them. A lot of people keep asking me how I make them, so I wanted to show you how easy it is to dry your own.
First thing I bought off Amazon was a microwavable flower press. I know sounds AMAZING right? But hold up, keep reading before you click purchase. Anyways, it is a pretty simple design and I do like it and use it but only if I want the flower to be pressed really flat.
Drawbacks is it takes a lot of time at the microwave putting it in and out and flipping and cooling in between. Positives is it doesn’t take 3 plus weeks in a book.
But that is not what I use 90% of the time. I use Silica Gel and I speed it up by putting it in the microwave and ususally can have flowers dry in 1 to 2 minutes. Yes, you read that right and they are fairly flat, not squished but shaped nicely.
You can also just put the flowers in the silica gel and walk away and in 3-5 days it will be dry.
Or you can microwave them. Here is how I microwave them:
- microwave safe bowl
- pour a little bit of gel to cover the bottom
- gently place flower face down exactly how you want it to dry on the gel
- cover flowers completely with more gel
- place in microwave with a cup of water next to it
- quick cook 1 min
- check one carefully
- if needed quick cook 1 more minute
- gently lift out of the gel and shake or brush off with a paint brush and store in an air tight container or use immediately in your resin craft
Here is a video tutorial on Tik Tok:
@craftingwithkateHow I dry the flowers for use in resin ##driedflowers ##phonegrips ##diytutorial ##resinmold ##littlebitfancy ##fyp ##craftingwithkate ##flowers♬ Tropical – SUDI